In order to gain access to the materials for digitization, the group created and signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the CFRA.
Memorandum of Understanding Oct 20th, 2013
This memorandum served as the basis of understanding between the CFRA and the our digitization team. The memorandum ensured that the CFRA and our team understood the rights of ownership for all material to remain in the possession of the CFRA. The memorandum was requested by the CFRA Director to ensure that the labor of our team would be considered volunteer time and that the CFRA would have a document to use if any legal action against the team or the CFRA were to occur over work performed on this project.
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Sunday, October 27, 2013
Meeting 7: October 27, 2013
IS 565 Group 3
Meeting Minutes
October 27, 2013
OPENING
The meeting began at 8:10pm, 10/27/13
ATTENDING
Brendon Guilliams, Sharon Routh, Tricia Smith and Robert
Waltz.
AGENDA
I.
Status of materials – Brendon
II.
Collection Policy – Tricia
III.
Metadata standards -- Robert
DISCUSSION
I.
Materials have been boxed and are ready to ship
(as of Friday, October 25). Brendon will notify the group to arrange pickup
when he receives them.
II.
Collection Policy: in progress. We discussed
specifics for the inclusion/exclusion of materials, language and maintenance.
Decided on a max. file size for text, images, audio and video files for the
collection.
Text – 10 MB
Images – 60 MB
Audio/Video – 1GB (files larger
than this can be split and then pieced together
III.
Metadata: discussed pros/cons to Dublin Core,
MARC/MARC XML, METS. We compared main metadata standards and discussed options for people at the CFRA with little knowledge
of metadata who may not be tech savvy. The group agreed that standards selected should be easy to
understand for the people who will be maintaining the site but may not have
experience in these areas. Robert shared an article on open source software
with the group. Before next week’s meeting, more research will done on metadata
standards in order to make a decision next week.
AGENDA FOR NEXT WEEK-November 2
at 8PM EST
·
Detailed discussion of metadata standards, led
by Robert
·
Distribution of materials to group members
Sunday, October 13, 2013
Meeting 6: October 13, 2013
IS 565 Group 3
MEETING MINUTES
OCTOBER 13, 2013
OPENING
OPENING
The meeting began at 8:03pm 10/13/2013
ATTENDING
ATTENDING
Brendon Guilliams, Sharon Routh, Tricia Smith and Robert Waltz.
AGENDA
AGENDA
I. Status of Materials - Brendon
II.Community Analysis Review of BlogIII. Collections Guidelines
IV. Metadata Standards
V. Scanning Recommendations/Resolution of Scanned Images
DISCUSSION
I. The person from the CFRA who will be shipping the materials will be in contact with us beginning this week. Two copies of all of the newsletters will be sent. The Memorandum has been sent to Robert. He will sign the document and send to the next person.
II. A Page on the Blog was created for the Community Analysis, it is not published yet due to formatting concerns. Sharon will edit and perform the final Publish operation.
III. Collections Guidelines are in progress, but not yet completed. An option may be to review the examples on the CFRA website for newsletters to help with guidelines.
IV. Robert has not started Metadata Standards yet. Hopefully he will have a report by next week.
V. We need to consider the # of colors available and the font size of the newsletters, once we receive physical copies.
AGENDA FOR NEXT MEETING OCTOBER 20TH at 8PM EST -Tricia Lead next week
I. Collections Guidelines
II. Metadata Standards
III. Review of Material
VI. Scanning Recommendations/Resolution of Scanned Images
Sunday, October 6, 2013
Meeting 5: October 6, 2013
IS 565 Group 3
MEETING MINUTES
OCTOBER 6, 2013
OPENING:
The fifth meeting of Group 3 for IS565 Final Project began at 8:05 PM EST.
ATTENDING:
Tricia Smith, Robert Waltz, and Sharon Routh were in attendance.
AGENDA:
I. Community Analysis Status
II. Collection Guidelines Status
III. Status of Materials
IV. Scanning of Materials
V. Resolution of Images
VI. Rights Memorandum to CFRA
DISCUSSION:
I. The Community Analysis is mostly complete. Tricia will continue to work on the
SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunity, and Threats) Analysis and send it to
everyone for review this week.
II. Collection Guidelines are dependent on materials which have not yet arrived. We
will discuss these at the next meeting. A document has been shared for
the development of guidelines.
III. Materials are still waiting on the delivery of the Memorandum concerning CFRA
retention of ownership rights to Brian Depew, Director of the CFRA.
IV. & V. Scanning and Resolution of Images will be dependent upon materials and again
will be discussed once materials have arrived.
VI. It appears Brain Depew has accessed the Memorandum on Google Drive. Brendon
will be emailed and will follow up on the status of the materials.
AGENDA, NEXT MEETING OCTOBER 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM EST:
I. Post Community Analysis to Blog as a Page
II. Collection Policy
III. Materials Status
IV. Metadata Options
V. Scanning Recommendations/Resolution of Scanned Images
MEETING MINUTES
OCTOBER 6, 2013
OPENING:
The fifth meeting of Group 3 for IS565 Final Project began at 8:05 PM EST.
ATTENDING:
Tricia Smith, Robert Waltz, and Sharon Routh were in attendance.
AGENDA:
I. Community Analysis Status
II. Collection Guidelines Status
III. Status of Materials
IV. Scanning of Materials
V. Resolution of Images
VI. Rights Memorandum to CFRA
DISCUSSION:
I. The Community Analysis is mostly complete. Tricia will continue to work on the
SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunity, and Threats) Analysis and send it to
everyone for review this week.
II. Collection Guidelines are dependent on materials which have not yet arrived. We
will discuss these at the next meeting. A document has been shared for
the development of guidelines.
III. Materials are still waiting on the delivery of the Memorandum concerning CFRA
retention of ownership rights to Brian Depew, Director of the CFRA.
IV. & V. Scanning and Resolution of Images will be dependent upon materials and again
will be discussed once materials have arrived.
VI. It appears Brain Depew has accessed the Memorandum on Google Drive. Brendon
will be emailed and will follow up on the status of the materials.
AGENDA, NEXT MEETING OCTOBER 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM EST:
I. Post Community Analysis to Blog as a Page
II. Collection Policy
III. Materials Status
IV. Metadata Options
V. Scanning Recommendations/Resolution of Scanned Images
Sunday, September 29, 2013
Meeting 4: September 29, 2013
IS 565 Group 3
MEETING MINUTES
SEPTEMBER 29, 2013
OPENING
The meeting began at 8:05pm 9/29/2013
ATTENDING
Brendon Guilliams, Sharon Routh, Tricia Smith and Robert Waltz.
AGENDA
I. Proposal -- due October 4
II. Personal goals for project
III. Community analysis
IV. Memorandum approval from CFRA
V. Scan/resolution for materials
VI. Next meeting - October 6, 2013
DISCUSSION
I. Discuss completion of proposal, sections two and four are still unfinished. Everyone will have their sections completed by Wednesday to allow time for group to review/edit on Thursday. Turn in on Friday.
II. Part four of proposal is personal goals for the project. Some of the group goals discussed:
- working with a digital library
- experience in a real world situation
- Learn from fellow group members, experience working as a team
- working with the organization to complete its goals
III. Sharon has completed a rough draft of the community analysis and sent to group for review. As a group we decided to add a SWOT analysis to the community analysis. Tricia will type up a draft for the SWOT and send to group members for editing.
IV. The Memorandum has been sent to the CFRA, we are waiting on approval from Brian of the CFRA. Once he approves Brendon will fax document to the group for signatures.
V. Once memorandum has been approved, CFRA will mail materials to Brendon. When we have the materials, we will determine scan/resolution minimums for the policy. Brendon will disperse materials to the rest of the group and each member will scan materials for the collection.
VI. Next meeting -- Community analysis and begin work on policy development.
Next meeting -- Sunday, October 6, 2013 at 8:00pm.
Sunday, September 22, 2013
Meeting 3: September 22, 2013
IS 565 Group 3
MEETING MINUTES
SEPTEMBER 22, 2013
OPENING
The meeting began at 8:10pm 9/22/2013
ATTENDING
Brendon Guilliams, Sharon Routh, Tricia Smith, Robert Waltz, and Inga Haugen.
AGENDA
- Update on Center of Rural Affairs point of contact/ Project name
- Insight from contact on Center for Rural Affairs requirements/ needs before work can begin
- Discuss Material Types present at Center and decide desired material to work with.
- Final Proposal due Oct 4th
- Discuss Center for Rural Affairs material distribution for digitization processing
- Next Meeting- September 29th, Tricia leads
DISCUSSION
I) Update from Brendon regarding the Center for Rural Affairs’s point of contact/ Group naming discussion
- Center for Rural Affairs Contact update- Inga Haugen
- Center for Rural Affairs Beyond the Walls- group name
2) Inga haugen discussed Center for Rural Affairs documentation needs
- Need a Memorandum of Understanding. Center wants to ensure that they retain copyright. Inga Haugen is our contact. Inga and Brendon are writing up the Memorandum. We will have the Documents until January 2014.
- We need to review the Memorandum and sign it. We may need to Fax/scan the document around in order to get all of our signatures.Thursday evening final draft, Brendon will sign and send to Robert, who will send to Tricia who will send to Sharon.
desired material to work with.
3) Inga Introduced the Types of materials that the project can work with
- Project Reports,
- Newsletters --group decided to focus on this material type
- Correspondence,
- Grants,
- Legislation,
- Born digital material (emails),
- Annual reports,
- Workshops,
- Conferences
- Direct Service Work- business workshops with farmers
- Policy Documents - internal documents
4) Final Proposal due on October 4th
- Proposal - CFRA Beyond the Walls is the name of the digital project
- Need to fill in our personal goals. Brendon has begun the Introduction.
5) Distribution of Materials-
- send information to Brendon.
- We will focus on the newsletters, but will receive a variety of content in order to evaluate and provide future recommendations as well as provide spacing in the structure to support.
- In the proposal we should only mention the newsletters.
Agenda- September 29, 2013 8:00 pm Est.
- Edit Final Proposal Document
- Discuss Deadlines for Milestones to be achieved
Sunday, September 15, 2013
Meeting 2: September 15, 2013
IS 565 Group 3
MEETING MINUTES
SEPTEMBER 15, 2013
OPENING
The September 15, 2013 Meeting for IS 565 Group 3 began at 8:00 PM EST.
ATTENDING:
Brendon Guilliam, Sharon Routh, Tricia Smith and Robert Waltz.
AGENDA
I) Update from Brendon regarding the Center for Rural Affairs’s point of contact
II) Determine assignments of group members for Responsibilities
III) Final Proposal due on October 4th
IV) Next Meeting - September 22nd, Brendon leads
DISCUSSION
I) Update From Brendon.
We will have issues of ownership in the deep archives material, so we should leave a space for the center to add later but we will leave it blank. The University of Iowa has operational control over the materials and releasing these to another organization would be problematic. In the Digital Library we create, we should add a placeholder section for archival material in future archival material needs to be added.
For the center we need to set a schedule for when we want material and when we will send it back.They will pay postage
II) Assignment of responsibilities.
(1) identifying the target community and designing a community analysis -SR
(2) developing collection guidelines -TS
(3) creating recommendations for metadata -RPW
(4) making decisions about technological infrastructure including digitization options -BG
(5) implementing a prototype DL that includes a small selection of sample records -All
Community Analysis - Sharon will take responsibility. Much of the statistical data can be found in the us.gov census site. The Center for Rural Affairs has some small datasets but not much. We can create an online survey and distribute it through our contact.
Developing Collection Guidelines - Tricia
Creating Recommendations for Metadata - Robert Waltz, will create a matrix of possible standards to use, write up rational for use of chosen standards.
Decide on technological infrastructure - Brendon, create a matrix of technologies to use, evaluate their capabilities, write up reasons for choosing a technology.
Implementing Prototype- entire group will work towards the goal.
A matrix of tasks and subtasks with due dates will be maintained by the group in order to subdivide responsibilities further
Project Management Matrix
III) Final Proposal
(See Final Proposal Draft Document) Everyone will write up their area of responsibility in the Final Project Proposal available in Google docs.
Final Project Proposal:
TS -copy edit and standardize language/grammar 1st 3 parts of doc
Part 1 (1 Page) Introduce your project including its goals and any history related to it -BG
Part 2 (1-2 Pages) Outline what you propose to do -rpw
Part 3 (1-2 Pages) how you will accomplish your goals including but not limited to assigning specific tasks to group members outlining what materials will be used as references and identifying the projected timeline for key milestones TS & SR
Part 4 (1 Page) Everyone does their own page. State your personal goals regarding what you hope to learn and how it will benefit your professional or academic goals
IV) Next Meeting - September 22nd 8pm on G+, Brendon sets the agenda and coordinates the meeting
AGENDA- SEPTEMBER 22, 2013 8:00 PM EST
1) Name of Project
2) Distribution Method of Materials
3) Division of Materials- Topically?, Sources?, Other?
4) Deadlines for Milestones to be achieved
5) Final Project Proposal Discussion- Part 4 (1 page each or 1 page total?)
MEETING MINUTES
SEPTEMBER 15, 2013
OPENING
The September 15, 2013 Meeting for IS 565 Group 3 began at 8:00 PM EST.
ATTENDING:
Brendon Guilliam, Sharon Routh, Tricia Smith and Robert Waltz.
AGENDA
I) Update from Brendon regarding the Center for Rural Affairs’s point of contact
II) Determine assignments of group members for Responsibilities
III) Final Proposal due on October 4th
IV) Next Meeting - September 22nd, Brendon leads
DISCUSSION
I) Update From Brendon.
We will have issues of ownership in the deep archives material, so we should leave a space for the center to add later but we will leave it blank. The University of Iowa has operational control over the materials and releasing these to another organization would be problematic. In the Digital Library we create, we should add a placeholder section for archival material in future archival material needs to be added.
For the center we need to set a schedule for when we want material and when we will send it back.They will pay postage
II) Assignment of responsibilities.
(1) identifying the target community and designing a community analysis -SR
(2) developing collection guidelines -TS
(3) creating recommendations for metadata -RPW
(4) making decisions about technological infrastructure including digitization options -BG
(5) implementing a prototype DL that includes a small selection of sample records -All
Community Analysis - Sharon will take responsibility. Much of the statistical data can be found in the us.gov census site. The Center for Rural Affairs has some small datasets but not much. We can create an online survey and distribute it through our contact.
Developing Collection Guidelines - Tricia
Creating Recommendations for Metadata - Robert Waltz, will create a matrix of possible standards to use, write up rational for use of chosen standards.
Decide on technological infrastructure - Brendon, create a matrix of technologies to use, evaluate their capabilities, write up reasons for choosing a technology.
Implementing Prototype- entire group will work towards the goal.
A matrix of tasks and subtasks with due dates will be maintained by the group in order to subdivide responsibilities further
Project Management Matrix
III) Final Proposal
(See Final Proposal Draft Document) Everyone will write up their area of responsibility in the Final Project Proposal available in Google docs.
Final Project Proposal:
TS -copy edit and standardize language/grammar 1st 3 parts of doc
Part 1 (1 Page) Introduce your project including its goals and any history related to it -BG
Part 2 (1-2 Pages) Outline what you propose to do -rpw
Part 3 (1-2 Pages) how you will accomplish your goals including but not limited to assigning specific tasks to group members outlining what materials will be used as references and identifying the projected timeline for key milestones TS & SR
Part 4 (1 Page) Everyone does their own page. State your personal goals regarding what you hope to learn and how it will benefit your professional or academic goals
IV) Next Meeting - September 22nd 8pm on G+, Brendon sets the agenda and coordinates the meeting
AGENDA- SEPTEMBER 22, 2013 8:00 PM EST
1) Name of Project
2) Distribution Method of Materials
3) Division of Materials- Topically?, Sources?, Other?
4) Deadlines for Milestones to be achieved
5) Final Project Proposal Discussion- Part 4 (1 page each or 1 page total?)
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)